Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Royal BC Museum

Royal BC Museum



This morning we got up and did many types of water sports – kayaking, stand-up boarding, canoeing and paddling a Hobie Mirage. This was so much fun. Takky and I have taken kayaking lessons in Hong Kong, so we are very good at kayaking, but we both want to become better stand-up boarders.


 I know that some people think that water is dangerous, but I think that the water here is very safe. It is calm, and we have life jackets on so that if we do fall in the water, we can’t sink. Still, the water here is much calmer than in Hong Kong. This makes it much easier to learn water sports and gain confidence. I am so glad that we get to try out these sports, because they are helping to improve my physical self-confidence. I’m not a big sports person, so being able to do sports in such a wonderful environment helps me to have more courage, faith in myself, and confidence that I can do anything I put my mind to.


After our water sports, we went to the Royal BC Museum and spent three hours looking around it. The Royal BC Museum was founded in 1886 and it has three permanent galleries: natural history, modern history, and local First Nations’ history. The objects in the museum's collections speak volumes. There were so many things in it that I have either never seen or seen only in pictures. It is also very relevant, because it has a huge exhibit in modern history about human impact on climate change. It also has a number of interactive activities, which allowed us to explore and learn even more. Right now, they have a visiting Egypt exhibit.



So let's take a look at the Weaving!





 



Afterward I to the Natural History gallery. In the entrance, I got the chance to see an extinct woolly mammoth. It’s HUGE and looks like an adult elephant! As you know, its closest relative actually is the Asian elephant! According to the introduction, males reached shoulder heights between 2.7 to 3.4m and females reached 2.6–2.9m. Even though it was just a statue, I was awed that I had chance to take photos with it. Honestly, I can even imagine what I would feel if it was still alive and standing beside me! My guess is that I would scream, try to touch it, and then maybe run away very fast!



I really recommend you come and visit the BC Museum if you have the chance, because I think you will find something that interests you and it helps us understand our past and present, and to envision our future.




Snowy Owl 

Ocean Sunfish
Live throughout most of the world's seas

Red Box Crab
Tanner Crab
Alaska King Crab





Please keep following my blog!
You can also follow my status on Instagram!
Instagram: ahmycchow

💛See you! Love Ya!💛

No comments:

Post a Comment